When I renewed my subscription to WoodSmith I recieved a spiffy complimentary book of plans for shop projects. Dawn was leafing through it and came across a description of a router bit storage box and she encouraged me to make one since she knew I had a bunch of loose bits knocking around in a drawer in my workbench.
Not surprisingly I did't actually follow the plans very closely but I did refer to them for suggestions for the starting dimensions. The plans called for plastic inserts to hold the router bits and these would be glued into holes drilled in fixed wooden shelves. That sounded rather silly to me so I went to Tap Plastics and picked out a couple pieces of half-inch plastic from their scrap bucket. It only cost me a dollar and now I left-over scraps to play with, too. I mounted the plastic to 1/4 inch hardboard (after drilling shaft holes for 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch router bits) and put the shelves loosely into some slots I cut with my dado blade. This lets me pull out the shelves when I need, particularly if one particular bit fits a bit snugly in the holes.
The case is made of scrap maple and some scraps of cherry plywood that I had left over from previous projects. It is finished in Minwax's antique oil finish, which is pretty much just Danish Oil by another name as far as I can tell. It warmed up the maple a bit and made the cherry look like it'd been suntanned, which is what I wanted. One bonus of this project is that the only thing I had to buy for this was the plastic and the little knob for the door. The plans called for some spiffy latch to hold the door shut but I decided I liked a simple magnet inset into the door and which latches to a screw inserted into the carcass frame. It's not super tight but it holds well and I already had a pile of magnets sitting around waiting to be used.
The plans also called for a pull-out drawer in the bottom of the case and I decided that didn't make a lot of sense. The sides and bottom of the drawer ate too much space and limited what I could store in it. So I put a little keeper-rail in the bottom and made it into open storage. The keeper will prevent stuff from rolling out and now I can toss wrenshes and router table inserts in there.
Well, the description is now officially longer than the time it took to build the darn thing so I guess I need to call this one done. Now I just gotta hang it on the wall and move on to the next project.